Sunday 8 February 2015

My response to the BDA Webinar: Visual Stress What Everyone Should Know

The British Dyslexia Association (BDA) does a lot of great work creating greater awareness  of dyslexia and promoting the interests of individuals with dyslexia. According to it's mission statement it aims to provide 'impartial and objective advice'. It is therefore disappointing that it's advice on the contentious issue of visual stress and dyslexia fall short of this standard.
The BDA Webinar was prepared by Bob Hext who is CEO of Crossbow Education Ld, commercial suppliers coloured overlays. It is a scholarly presentation so I have tried to reply in kind, with two You Tube videos of my own. I respectfully differ with regard to both the accuracy and interpretation of the information presented in Bob's video. That said, I believe that anyone who puts their ideas into the public domain where they can be debated and criticised is on the 'side of the angels'. From the very brief email correspondence I have had with Bob he is clearly a civilised man who is open to debate. It is therefore disappointing that the BDA have blocked my comments so it is not easy for people to access my response to his webinar.
Anyway here is the link to Bob's webinar: Visual Stress What Everyone Should Know

My reply is in two parts.
First, some general comments Visual Stress: What Else Everyone should Know

Second specific comments about the neuro-imaging presented in the webinar which is of rather dubious provenance. Thoughts On Brain Imaging in Visual Stress.

In my opinion the BDA is failing in it's public duty by blocking debate on the excellent webinar of Bob's. I could understand it if they were blocking abusive comments by internet trolls but I hope you will agree that my replies do not fall into that category.

No comments:

Post a Comment